rebuildmyghia34

Originally focused on the restoration of my November 1961 built (1962 model year) Type 3 Karmann Ghia (343) I have now extended the blog to cover the ongoing ownership of my 1964 built (1965 model year) RHD type 3 Karmann Ghia (344) purchased in 1982.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Floor mats



Over the weekend I resprayed the plasticised floor mats that came with the car from new. I used a product called Kolorbond in a dark grey shade. As you can see from the before and after shots of the rear mats it has made a good job of them.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

variable quality news


The damaged rear boot lock mechanism supplied by Larry Edson arrived safely today and will allow me to attempt to repair my 62 unit by making one good one from 2 broken ones. Paul Colbert has also lent me a complete one in case this doesn't work, this way I will be able to get the body shell home from the bodyshop with the rear boot firmly closed.

Meantime the bodyshell remains at the stage where the primer has been rubbed back and final imperfections identified and tackled. I just have to wait for it to gain a space for final primer and top coats etc.

I took some remaining bits of chrome and all the interior aluminium trim and screen trims to a polisher today, he was happy to do these but not the original style Lemmertz wheel trims; so I need to think of another way forward with them or finding better ones.

Once the trim has been stripped and polished I will need to collect it and take it to the anodizer down the road, a bit laborious but it should get me there.

Meanwhile the plastic paint for the floor mats has arrived, I have cleaned the mats and will hopefully spray them at the weekend.