rebuildmyghia34

Originally focused on the restoration of my November 1961 built (1962 model year) Type 3 Karmann Ghia (343) I have now extended the blog to cover the ongoing ownership of my 1964 built (1965 model year) RHD type 3 Karmann Ghia (344) purchased in 1982.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Leak from carburetor solved

When the engine was rebuilt I fitted a new old stock side draft carburetor trusting in the fact it would work smoothly. I experienced a problem with the car when it was first back on the road, total lack of performance and poor acceleration. I tracked this down to a sticking choke valve which was easily fixed with lubrication. However another problem with the carb was more persistent; this was a very slight fuel leakage from around the brass pipe which the fuel feed line is attached to.
General tapping in of the brass fitting made no difference and also the use of sealant gave little improvement. I resorted to removing the brass pipe from my old original carb, smearing it with Loctite and have now cured the leakage.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

More electrical issues resolved

The intermitent fault on the instrument cluster related to the ignition and oil warning lights looks to be linked to the wiring on the backing unit - I will dig out another from my stock and replace and hopefully this will resolve it.
I also established the fault with the fog lights was caused by a faulty relay via swapping across the one from my 65. Whilst I have 4 of these they all turned out to be useless so will be looking for one on The Samba.
This should solve the remaining electrical issues and the next snag to resolve is the drivers door window which separated from its lifter due to rust, will see what I have in stock.

Saturday, December 12, 2009

More electrical problems solved

The swap across to the later indicator flasher and wiring worked perfectly. Additionally I have tracked the grounding out of the horn to a faulty plastic washer that fits between the head of one of the 3 screws that hold the horn ring in place and the actual horn ring. I replaced it with a new piece of plastic and the horn no longer earths out and works as it is supposed to.
Next on the list is to resolve the ignition and oil lamp intermitent working.

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Tweaking the electrics


The engine is back in place and clutch adjusted and the car seems to drive much better now as well.

Next task is resolving some of the residual electrical problems. Something that I thought was a problem just turned out to be a difference in wiring between the early cars and those from slightly later. I noticed that when I put on the side lights for the car that the lower left green light on the indicator cluster\fuel gauge came on. As this indicator light is wired to the fog lamps on my 65 I thought there was a fault in the wiring; once I had consulted the wiring diagram it became clear that this is how it is supposed to work and that the function of the lower left green indicator lamp changed at some stage from showing side lamps switched on to showing fog lights on.

With that sorted I am tackling issues with the indicator wiring and relays. Again the 62 cars wiring differs and uses a flasher relay with 3 terminals (S,K, +) rather than subsequent ones that use only 2 (S,+). So far I have amassed a range of dodgy early style 3 terminal versions, none of which work to my total satisfaction. As I have a number of 2 terminal ones I thought I would change to this later system. From looking at the wiring diagrams it looks achievable which just a couple of wires to swap around. Here is a quick sketch of the 2 systems.