rebuildmyghia34

Originally focused on the restoration of my November 1961 built (1962 model year) Type 3 Karmann Ghia (343) I have now extended the blog to cover the ongoing ownership of my 1964 built (1965 model year) RHD type 3 Karmann Ghia (344) purchased in 1982.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Belated September 2011 update

























After the trip to the 50th celebration in GMH I had a number of tasks to carry out on the car. The first was to replace the oil pressure switch on the oil cooler as it had been leaking in a big way; easily done.

Next was to cure the bake light switch on the master cylinder from being affected by rain water. On the drive around GMH water had got into the electrical connections leading to no brake lights. The early cars don't have a stone shield under the master cylinder and no rubber boot was fitted either to seal the master cylinder brake switch from the elements. I sourced a suitable type 4 one from VW Heritage and again solution achieved in about 2 minutes.

On the way over to GMH the drivers door window fell out of its end guide rail leading to it coming out of the window lifter mechanism and jamming half way down. I took the door apart and discovered that the captive nut on the lower adjuster for the window lifter at the doors trailing edge had sheared off. Some quick grinding and welding had it quickly re-attached.

A source of irritation has been a dent which has appeared in each door close to the door locks, so whilst the door was in pieces I thought I would do something about it and also the other door. I decided to call in a paintless dent removal company to tackle the problem. (I had no idea how these could have happened as the panel work was perfect when it left the body shop and I certainly haven't damaged them). After a couple of hours of trying they had to admit defeat - the centre of each dent appears to be a spot weld which fixes the re-inforcing plate behind each door handle\lock and they just couldn't improve\solve the problem. Again no idea why this problem should occur post completion of the car and it looks like live with it or repaint both doors.

Good news is it looks like I will now be able to keep the car so thanks to all those who expressed an interest in it.