rebuildmyghia34

Originally focused on the restoration of my November 1961 built (1962 model year) Type 3 Karmann Ghia (343) I have now extended the blog to cover the ongoing ownership of my 1964 built (1965 model year) RHD type 3 Karmann Ghia (344) purchased in 1982.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Repro front bonnet\boot rubber



When restoring my 62 I could not find a correct profile front bonnet strip. the one I used was from our club, the KGOC (GB)and was not a very good fit, leaving the bonnet sticking up proud of the wings.
I noticed last week that Ruediger Huber at Eratzteileservice in Germany was offering a replacement strip so I sent off for one.
The price is euro 52 plus tax and post and it comes in 'yardage' i.e. not assembled to the shape required to fit over the raised centre profile section at the scuttle end of the bonnet.
This is not a problem as there is more than enough yardage, even if you get making the cuts\angles required wrong first time round.
The strip is an exuded dense foam that is sealed to stop water ingress, it is rather blacker and shinier than the original material which was a matt\grey finish and powdered. The god news is that with a trial location of the major part of the strip it was an excellent fir, allowing the bonnet to close correctly - this means I can stop stealing the original VW one from my 65 when ever I want to take out the 62 now.
I will make up a template to enable others to create a good replica rubber and post details when i have done it. Go below for details.

www.karmannghia.de
e-mail: info@karmannghia.de

Pre 66 model pointed bumper overriders


I thought it was about time I got the early pointed style bumper overriders from my 65, fitted to models up to and including the 1965 model year, rechromed.
These are made out of aluminium; many people think they are made of Mazak or pot metal but they are actually cast aluminium.
I had one rechromed when rebuilding the 1962 car by The London Chroming Company, it was them that confirmed they are aluminium and they made a fantastic job of refinishing it. These will be going off to them shortly and I am hoping they come out just as well and restore a correct feature to my 65 that has been missing for many years.

Scratches to drivers' side door window

The trailing edge of the drivers side door window had some very deep scratches in it; there were probably about 20 of them each up to 2.5" (6cm) long.
I found a company called glass polish who do commercial repairs to sheet glass windows etc. following damage\vandalism, they also offer a do it yourself kit to help car owners repair their car windows.
I bought one of their kits which consists of 2 grades of special sanding discs and a polishing compound plus pads to attach to your drill and a small water sprayer.
I have used the kit and it has made a great job in removing the scratches, which is all well and good as the early 62 door glass is 2cm longer than subsequent windows and therefore very hard to replace.
For more info go to www.glasspolishshop.com

Sunday, February 06, 2011

March VolksWorld Magazine







It was great to see my car featured in the March edition of Volksworld; it will also be part of the 50 years of the type 3 celebration at the VolksWorld show at the end of March.