rebuildmyghia34

Originally focused on the restoration of my November 1961 built (1962 model year) Type 3 Karmann Ghia (343) I have now extended the blog to cover the ongoing ownership of my 1964 built (1965 model year) RHD type 3 Karmann Ghia (344) purchased in 1982.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Engine Decals and radio Bracket






The Decals that I fitted to the air cleaner and the rear air intake trough started to peel off at the edges. I think this must have been due to either an impurity on the paint work or not firming them down sufficiently at time of application.

Scott Taylor kindly sent through a new set free of charge which was fantastic of him, my problem was getting the old ones off. Looking on the internet showed a couple of chemicals that should remove them and I was concerned at the potential effect on the paint work underneath.

I decided to steam them off instead using a domestic hand steam cleaner, I tried it first on a transfer on the inner side of an old 62 glove box lid, it didn't make a great impression but did shift some of it.

I gave it a go on the transfers that I wnated to remove and they came off immediately without any damage to the paint. new ones have now been applied.

The radio rattles about a little when driving so I decided to replicate the bracket fitted to my 65, on left in photo. This looks to be a home made one and is fitted via the mounting screw on the back of the radio and then a self tapping screw into the bulk head - fitted the repro one to the 62 and now no more rattles!