Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Engine Decals and radio Bracket






The Decals that I fitted to the air cleaner and the rear air intake trough started to peel off at the edges. I think this must have been due to either an impurity on the paint work or not firming them down sufficiently at time of application.

Scott Taylor kindly sent through a new set free of charge which was fantastic of him, my problem was getting the old ones off. Looking on the internet showed a couple of chemicals that should remove them and I was concerned at the potential effect on the paint work underneath.

I decided to steam them off instead using a domestic hand steam cleaner, I tried it first on a transfer on the inner side of an old 62 glove box lid, it didn't make a great impression but did shift some of it.

I gave it a go on the transfers that I wnated to remove and they came off immediately without any damage to the paint. new ones have now been applied.

The radio rattles about a little when driving so I decided to replicate the bracket fitted to my 65, on left in photo. This looks to be a home made one and is fitted via the mounting screw on the back of the radio and then a self tapping screw into the bulk head - fitted the repro one to the 62 and now no more rattles!






No comments:

video of our 65 on the motorway

video of our 65 on the M40 taken by Paul  Donovan https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5pXVCcqGfA