rebuildmyghia34

Originally focused on the restoration of my November 1961 built (1962 model year) Type 3 Karmann Ghia (343) I have now extended the blog to cover the ongoing ownership of my 1964 built (1965 model year) RHD type 3 Karmann Ghia (344) purchased in 1982.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Getting ready for 2008

Called in to see the body shell a few days a go, a small amount of work has been completed but nothing to merit any photos.
I replaced the driver's side rear wheel bearing hub seals seals today, I put the rear drum back on but left the brake linnings out so that I can check in a couple of days for leaks and prevent the linnings getting oil on them.
Next activities in January\February will be:
  • Replace the front passenger side brake cylinder balance pipe
  • Treat the fuel tank with a POR15 sealant kit
  • Try to strip the anodosing off some aluminium trim pieces and see if I can then polish them up and re-annodise with a home kit
  • Collect the pieices that I took to the chromers for replating and passive coating
  • Fire up the engine
  • Chase the body shop to make some real progress and get the shell back by the end of March at the latest

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Paint prep progress




The body shop has made some more progress on preping the car for paint. The main shell received a flash coat of primer and then a high build polyester filler primer on top. This now needs to be flatted back and remaining imperfections identified and sorted. Hopefully the pace will now keep up and maybe the bodyshell will be back home in the new year.