rebuildmyghia34

Originally focused on the restoration of my November 1961 built (1962 model year) Type 3 Karmann Ghia (343) I have now extended the blog to cover the ongoing ownership of my 1964 built (1965 model year) RHD type 3 Karmann Ghia (344) purchased in 1982.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Bits & Bobs




I spent the day looking through the various boxes of parts from the car and identifying bits that still need work on them.

I have put together a range of parts that need passive plating to give them back their original silver finish and some parts that need re-chroming. The parts for re-chroming include the front quarter light frames which will need some repairs first as they were drilled all the way through for later non VW mirrors to be fitted. I do have frames from scrapped cars but these from the 62 are slightly different to later cars so I want to keep them.

I have also stripped the car jack and will be taking parts from it, along with the wiper arms, for gentle blasting during the next few weeks.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Start of the final phase



I have a date of 4 of June for the paintwork to be started on the car. This means I need to push on with seam sealing all panel joints, completing the drilling of holes for trim and then removing the body once again from the chassis. Can't wait to see it back in its original all black colour scheme like in the works press photo.
In the meantime I had contacted Newton Commercial here in the UK who, a few years ago, were willing to make up a set of carpets for me in the correct German square weave. they have now agreed a sole concession on all Type 3 carpet sales with T3D which will push the cost way past what i am willing to pay.
So bearing in mind that I made the carpet set for our 65 I have contacted the supplier of the square weave material used in the restoration of our Mercedes 190SL - they have an even better match to the original light/medium grey that was in the car when built.
So I am going to order MB10 Gray from them and use templates from other cars to make up the carpet set. I can do most of this from my 65, allowing for RHD to LHD conversion but will need to take templates from an early 62 for the carpeting around and below the rear seat area.

Instruments




I was sorting through my stash of instruments this morning, here are a couple of photos showing some of the various small differences over the years.

Rear end fit up


Got round to trial fitting the rear bumper and rear lights, just need to made the side mounting holes for the bumpers this weekend. Will also remove the old broken rear lock.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

She has eyes


Well a little trial fitting up completed, all the bumper mounts were correct as were those for the head & fog lights and indicator & repeaters. I had to drill the holes for the early 62 badge and it looks more like a car with all this lot fitted back on.

The bumpers need to be rechromed but that will have to wait for a while. next will be the fitting up of the rear end.

Monday, April 02, 2007

Work planned for April


The major activity for April is going to be trial fitting back up of all the lights, bumpers and external fittings in advance of the car going off for its paintwork. I hope the car will go in for its paintwork at the end of this month at a local paintshop, the body will be removed from the chassis again to mave the paint process easier.

I also need to make the various holes for badges, sill trims and bumper side mounts that have been lost due to panel replacement but have templates for all of these made up.

The NOS generator which had been on the 65 for a few months was put back today after I fitted the reconditioned one to the 65.

I received a NOS horn through the post this morning, boght off the Samba and shipped from the US, should look good, not sure if I will put it on the 65 instead of the 62 as it will be more visible on that car.