rebuildmyghia34

Originally focused on the restoration of my November 1961 built (1962 model year) Type 3 Karmann Ghia (343) I have now extended the blog to cover the ongoing ownership of my 1964 built (1965 model year) RHD type 3 Karmann Ghia (344) purchased in 1982.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Plating and pleading!



Here is a photo of one of the spot lights rebuilt with its rechromed rim and derusted\repainted internal ring. The spot lights I am using are the original ones from my 1965 model T344, I replaced them with NOS ones about 15 years ago and kept them in the boxes, lucky as the ones on the 1962 were beyond using.
Also a shot of the passenger side quarter window frame, this has had the hole that was drilled all the way through infilled with brass and is now ready for rechroming.

Having dropped into the bodyshop last weekend to find little progress again I called the owner during the week to put pressure on for more progress. he tells me he has a new man starting on Monday and my car will be given priority, keep your fingers crossed.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Mid February update

I went to the body shop today - a small amount of progress but small indeed. Some more prep has been carried out on a couple of panels but that is about it.
In the meantime I rebuilt the foglights with the newly rechromed rims and derusted & repainted the inner mount rim. I have also carried out the few small corrections to the front seats that I needed to carry out and have mounted them on the chassis for the time being.

Friday, February 08, 2008

Seat back rake adjuster knobs


Got these back from the platers as well. As mentioned before these were fitted only to the first few months of the 62 models. They are solid brass and weigh about half a pound each. They look superb rechromed and have now been fitted to the seats. This will hopefully inspire me to finish off redoing some of the trim done to the front seats by the trimmer and then the seats will be finally complete.

Car Jack restoration



As I got back the parts I took in for passive plating I decided to put the jack back together. I had all parts blasted and then painted the head in as close a correct shade of blue as I could match to the original. I had the mechanism and spring that were previously passive plated refinished and it now looks tons better.

January progress update



I made some reasonable progress in January. I used the POR15 kit to treat the fuel tank with and also replaced the front wheel cylinder balance pipe. I also replaced the rear wheel bearing seals again with a genuine VW seal kit - it still leaks! This is despite using sealant instead of the paper gasket and using a sealing compound between the main outer bearing housing and the large seal. Looks like I will need to change the main outer bearing housing so I have one on the way from T3D.

No progress yet with the reanodising as I am still trying to make my mind up on the way forward; the good news is I collected all the small pieces I took in for rechroming and passive plating and they look good. I dropped the bumpers off for replating at the same time.

here are a couple of photos of the refinished parts.

No progress with the body shop as far as I know, I'll be dropping in at the weekend in the hope of some progress.