rebuildmyghia34

Originally focused on the restoration of my November 1961 built (1962 model year) Type 3 Karmann Ghia (343) I have now extended the blog to cover the ongoing ownership of my 1964 built (1965 model year) RHD type 3 Karmann Ghia (344) purchased in 1982.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Roof lining finished


I managed to finish the roof lining at the weekend and have also installed the NOS sun visors bought individually from Paul Colbert and BerT3 at a far more reasonable price than currently advertised by Lars Neuffer whose prices simply reflect the ever escalating price of NOS parts.

I have also installed the correct aluminium stemmed early rear view mirror extracted out of my stash of parts as the one that came on the car was from a 6o's beetle.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Further interior trim progress




I have now finished fitting the trim to the rear parcel shelf area and rear shoulders\B pillars in the original style for a 62 model.


I have also retrimmed the front screen pillars and fitted the NOS front screen pillar aluminium trims.


Next for completion is the head lining which I hope to complete during the week.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Rear parcel shelf











I have been working on the rear parcel shelf area and have used the material kindly supplied by Lee Hedges when he sources the materials for the interior from TMI and had the seat covers made up.
A stiff card under liner was made and attached to the underneath of the lining to prevent the corrugations in the rear parcel shelf showing through.
I have also had to spend a lot of time making a shaped material cover for the small rear shoulder area in front of the parcel shelf. On the early models these were covered with material, later ones had a seperate black plastic cover or it was an intergrated part of the cover that goes below the opening rear quarter light.
I have glued the rear parcel shelf in place and fitted the resprayed rear vent but have yet to glue the shoulder covers on or glue down the front edge of the shelf as it is -5C and the material isn't pliable enough even with heat applied to it to get a good fit.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

A head lining for the New Year











I have started work on installing the head lining. It is a bit of a jig saw because you need to put the A & B post trims on first, plus the B posts needed new card liners making beforehand.
Additionally covers need to be made for the small shoulder areas on the 62 models in matching vinyl to the rear parcel shelf as they weren't fitted with plastic covers of any description. More on this in the next post.
I made a new insulation felt liner for the roof and stuck it firmly in place and have put the new liner in just by its 3 fixing bars (longest at rear) whilst I do the other trim.