Saturday, February 19, 2011

Repro front bonnet\boot rubber



When restoring my 62 I could not find a correct profile front bonnet strip. the one I used was from our club, the KGOC (GB)and was not a very good fit, leaving the bonnet sticking up proud of the wings.
I noticed last week that Ruediger Huber at Eratzteileservice in Germany was offering a replacement strip so I sent off for one.
The price is euro 52 plus tax and post and it comes in 'yardage' i.e. not assembled to the shape required to fit over the raised centre profile section at the scuttle end of the bonnet.
This is not a problem as there is more than enough yardage, even if you get making the cuts\angles required wrong first time round.
The strip is an exuded dense foam that is sealed to stop water ingress, it is rather blacker and shinier than the original material which was a matt\grey finish and powdered. The god news is that with a trial location of the major part of the strip it was an excellent fir, allowing the bonnet to close correctly - this means I can stop stealing the original VW one from my 65 when ever I want to take out the 62 now.
I will make up a template to enable others to create a good replica rubber and post details when i have done it. Go below for details.

www.karmannghia.de
e-mail: info@karmannghia.de

No comments:

video of our 65 on the motorway

video of our 65 on the M40 taken by Paul  Donovan https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5pXVCcqGfA