Friday, May 15, 2009

May 2009 update


Well at long last the registration for the car came through. It is now finally road registered and taxed under registration number 278XUT. I have a set of number plates on order in the correct period style from Vintage Supplies and they should be with me next week.

Here is an image of the VW birth certificate which has a few interesting things on it.


  • It states that paint code L41 isn't simply black but Tukan black - never seen it described this way before

  • There is an explanation of the M codes - not provided on my previous certificates

  • M580 is shown as a pearl white roof, so the car was 2 tone originally

Strangely they can no longer put the engine number on the certificate for data protection reasons - No idea what the logic on this is, whoose data are they protecting and why would they want it protecting? They do however confirm your original engine number in the accompanying letter.


I now have the final pieces of carpet for the car, thanks Joel for the templates, and have also had the sill pieces made up with the correct heater outlet grommets, will be fitting these shortly.


Finally I went to the Stanford Hall event and whilst I didn't find any amazing NOS parts I stumbled across a couple of small items on my Friend Brian Johnsons stand which he gave me for free - a couple of original plastic end caps for the wiper spindles and a plastic seal for the door lock - really small parts but some nice final touches.


A small picture of the car also appears again in Volksworld this month as the Car that the editor, Ivan, would most have liked to take home with him - good man Ivan!


3 comments:

Scott said...

It's interesting that the white roof is listed as an option. I always thought that ordering a Type 34 without a contrasting roof was optional.

Tukan Black! that's a new one to me too.

Jon Harvey said...

Hi Andy - should it be Toucan Black - as in Guinness??

Andy H said...

Jon - Not sure what your point is - the certificate clearly spells it as Tukan black, sorry if it is meant as a joke and I missed it, certainly with a white roof it would have looked like a pint of guiness.

video of our 65 on the motorway

video of our 65 on the M40 taken by Paul  Donovan https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5pXVCcqGfA