Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Toolkit




I have made sure that our 62 is as close to original condition and specification as possible. One of the areas I have looked into is the toolkit. All of the early cars predominately had slotted screw heads rather than Phillips or Posidrive screw heads to fixtures and fittings.
This is reflected in the specification for the toolkit in the owners manual; it shows 1 screwdriver 0.85 and 1 screwdriver 0.5, both with black painted wooden handles. Recently I was looking for tools to go with my Mercedes 190SL as the toolkit is missing from it and saw a toolkit advertised as being for a 190SL on e-bay with really low bids. Not surprising as it consisted of half tools for 190SL and half for VW including the correct early screwdrivers for my car. I put a low bid in and secured the toolkit. Here is a photo of my toolkit showing the screwdrivers and also of the toolkit from Johannes Krassenbrink's early 62 as well.
Interesting observation is that my toolkit (middle photo) is made from the early small grain 62 seating material whilst Johannes one is made from the material used to line the boot\trunk areas. This probably backs up the idea that the toolkits were made from off cuts from any material available at the time. Strangely our 65 has a toolkit made from the material seen on door panels from low light T14s.

No comments:

video of our 65 on the motorway

video of our 65 on the M40 taken by Paul  Donovan https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5pXVCcqGfA