Saturday, July 19, 2008

Front vent frames rebuild




Whilst waiting still for the elusive completion of the respray I thought it was time I rebuild some parts.

I have fitted the new seals to the from vent frames and also fitted the new glass to the passenger side that I got at a meeting some years ago, plus for the other side I used the one I picked up from Mick Blondin at the 2005 celebration of the Karmann Ghia launch in Germany during 2005.

The early years of production featured a slightly different latch mechanism on the glass, not visible until you try to take it apart but they also have a smaller head to the chromed button that is visible on the outside of the glass, nice to have the correct early ones fitted.

I went touse the repro black packing spacer for betwen the glass and the chrome fitting but they were useless, wrong shape and hole in the wrong place. The originals were servicable and have been used. You can see the difference in the photo between the 2 of them.

the original drivers side cats eye mirror has been fitted, I have decided not to fit the cats eye mirror I picked up for the passenger side at this stage and might offer it back to a guy who promised me huge bucks for it to fit on his notch restoration. Just got the felt runners for the window channels left to fit.

News on the completion of the paint will follow - yet again I am pressing for this week as the completion point.

No comments:

video of our 65 on the motorway

video of our 65 on the M40 taken by Paul  Donovan https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5pXVCcqGfA