Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Wiper assembly rebuild



I have been sorting through the parts for the car in anticipation of the completion of the respray, more of which later.

I pulled out the wiper assembly and a quick look at the rust on the end of the spindles for the wiper arms made me think that there might be some problems ahead. I removed the motor linkages and found that one spindle has stuck solidly, no amount of releasing fluid or brute force would shift it. Luckily I had a couple of spare assemblies, I have taken the best frame and the best 2 spindles plus a NOS motor as the components for the rebuild. Whilst the original motor performed well under test and parked correctly it was a little slow and it seemed sensible to use the new motor in view of the difficult nature of replacing the assembly once fitted.

I used new one piece seals to fit the spindles\bushes in to the body but have not yet been able to find any end caps to go over the spindles of the correct size.

I called into see the car in the body shop's new premises. Whilst the respray hasn't been completed yet a good deal of effort is still going in to it with 2.5 days last week on just flatting down the 3 coats of paint that have already ben applied. The upshot is I am convinced I will get a good end result and prefer to wait my time rather than rush at this final stage.

No comments:

video of our 65 on the motorway

video of our 65 on the M40 taken by Paul  Donovan https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5pXVCcqGfA